The Perfect Excuse for a Cupcake: National Cupcake Week
To Celebrate National Cupcake Week, we thought we would share one of our favourite cupcake recipes. This fiery little ginger beast is packed with flavour and refreshingly scrumptious with the perfect ginger twist. Warming up the senses, it also makes for an ideal autumn treat to be shared with a hot cup of tea – comforting the onset of the cooler weather. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Ginger cupcakes with a lime twist
- 170g sifted self-raising flour
- 70mls full cream milk
- 170g unsalted butter
- 170g caster sugar
- 2 large organic or free range eggs
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½-1 tsp of fresh ginger depending on taste
- 300g icing sugar
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g cream cheese
- Zest of 1-2 lime
- Juice of 1 lime
Method – Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (160°C with fan)
- With a hand held electric mixer, cream butter, sugar & ginger together in a bowl until light & fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time – be careful not to over mix.
- Gently fold in the flour, baking powder & milk.
- Evenly spoon into baking cases
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Remove cupcakes from the tray and leave to cool, preferably on a wire rack.
Lime cream cheese frosting.
Use a hand held mixer to beat butter and icing sugar together until smooth, creamy and fuller in volume.
Add the cream cheese, lime zest & juice- beat until gently until just combined..
Pipe or smooth onto cupcakes.
Decorate with a little lime zest or some crushed ginger nut biscuits.
Written by Liz Schultz